DescriptionI saw a fashion show that crossed over African and Japanese fashion. The moment I laid eyes on it I knew it was something I wanted to try. It’s a perfect blend of what I am and what my interests are.
This had a rocky start. I looked for weeks for a suitable African fabric. When I finally found one I liked it sold out. I contacted the seller and they went on the hunt for more. A couple weeks later they found some and messaged me.
When it arrived, another hurdle…the pattern was the wrong direction! I should have noticed that. So I did a whole lotta 5th grade math and worked out that I could stack the fabric on itself to change the direction of the stripe. After that it was a matter of sewing it together. And since I’ve made 4 other kimonos that was the easy part.
I couldn’t find a good print for the obi so I took some rustic fabric I already had and added some decorative stitching to bring it closer to the theme. The obi clasp and hair ornaments were easy to make. I purchased some flowers from WalMart and looped some trim behind them and then added some wooden beads I’ve had forever.
I plan on embroidering something on the back loop of the obi. I haven’t decided yet but I think I would like grasslands and a baobab tree or maybe some animals drinking from a water hole.