Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
DescriptionFrom Mutuality artbook, reference can be found here http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/397164_569445076089_74801443_31630400_62338628_n.jpg
The first thing I did was completely remake my kimono pattern, I made it a lot longer and I added as much volume? (idk what the correct term is) to the skirt as I could from 60" wide fabric and keeping it one piece from shoulder to hem like kimonos are suppose to be. I made the under kimono first, my first attempt out of polyester since I am comfortable working with it and it is wrinkle resistant......well it wasn't a good idea and the gradient dyeing did not work, I had to remake it and redye it out of cotton. I dyed the individual pieces separately then pieced the kimono together.
For the black kimono, I started by cutting out all the crows..birds..There are 29 total on the kimono but 30 were cut out, my niichan www.dionysus80.deviantart.com came over one day like a knight in shining armor to help me keep cutting, I had cut out 10 to add on before I pieced together bc I wanted some of them under the seams but it wasn't enough and my fingers had gone dumb from the X-acto knife so he helped me cut out 8 that day and I was able to finish piecing together the kimono that night. I finished the rest of the appliqués another day. I watched all of Fate/Stay Night during one of the cutting sessions. I added the rest of the appliqués a couple days later.
Next part was the obi, again cutting session this time it was Ouran High School Host Club. I cut out about 50 half moon appliqués out of silk in two different sizes and three different colors. These were applied before it was sewn together.
The obi consisted of two parts, the long rectangular section and the under one which is actually a corset with 16 steel bones. I first made the three layer corset and then covered it with the obi fabric. My reference had no bow so I skipped it for this cosplay.
Finishing details, I got some very beautiful gold fabric to make the collar for the under kimono, I painted the design as best as I could to it and attached it, finally the obiage, that was really fun to make...I finally figured out how to do rolled hems on my serger.
I was so happy with the final result....