Kusuri-Uri (Medicine Seller)
Mononoke (TV series)
DescriptionAfter New York Anime Festival, my partner in crime decided that we should go to AnimeUSA. But of course, new con requires new costume! And of course, the only do-want design I had on my list that was AT ALL feasible for completion in a month was this guy.
KIMONO: The kimono is hand-sewn with french finished seams and a magenta lining. It's made of a heavyweight silk satin, which I managed to get for $7/yard because it was all in 2-3 yard pieces. The designs were first drawn out on cheap muslin, then traced onto the silk with a starch-based resist to create the white lines. The areas of color were all applied by hand with a brush. The predominant turquoise was done with Jacquard green-label silk dyes, and all the other colors were from Aljo Dye Co, because buying local is handy and the people were super-helpful (they sell polyester dyes too!) Everything was steam-set. The dyes bled when I washed the resist out, so all the white lines had to be cleaned up with multiple applications discharge paste T____T
OBI: The obi is polyester dupioni and was made in five pieces, four of which are sewn together to create the bow and one for the belt part. The bow incorporates a wire loop which slides down the back of the belt part. The designs were stencilled on with Lumiere acrylics, which I HIGHLY recommend. The obi-age, the pink sash you see peeking over the top of the obi belt, was given a scrunched texture by twisting a piece of synthetic chiffon and boiling it to set the wrinkles into place. The obi-jime, the red cord over everything, was made by taking the bias tape strip off of a piece of pillow trim.
JUBAN AND PANTS: The juban, or under-kimono, began life as a muslin tunic I used to wear at renfaires. I chopped the sleeves off to t-shirt length, and added two collars made of canvas-interfaced quilting cotton. I went with cotton for this part so that it'd be washable, since it comes into contact with sweat and makeup :P The pants are just linen drawstring pants I threw together in a couple of hours with no pattern. Yes, these seams are finished too T_T
TABI & GETA: Making tabi is NOT. FUN. But these ones are comfy and warm to wear~ They are linen lined with polar fleece, which gives them some shape and also keeps my perpetually cold feet warm. They don't actually have closures; they slip on through the magic of stretch and bias.
The geta were a lot easier to walk in than I thought they would be. The ha (platform bits) are screwed on. The straps are basically muslin tubes stuffed with cotton and painted with more gold Lumiere. They were stained with a mixture of Future Wax and acrylic paint, and have rubber treads so I don't skid on smooth floors.
WIG: It's not a full wig. If it was, I would have roasted to death. The dreads are made out of felted wool roving, with two colors blended to give it some more texture. They are sewn to a felt headband, and the rest of my hair gets neatly hidden by that silk headscarf.
ACCESSORIES: Jewelry is sculpey, ears are paperclay over wire mesh and stay on with a headband. The disc shaped pendant has a mirror on the reverse, true to the design, and the small beads are red sculpey blended with black acrylic to look like coral. The sword is a piece of wood left over from the geta; it was bulked out to the right shape with celluclay, and the details were added in super sculpey.
MAKEUP: Ben Nye red and clown white. Set with transparent powder, and lasted until I started rubbing my eyes ^__^;
Zalora I like your 'sword'. Makes me wish I had made one for my Kusuriuri.
goldenrodfairy Dude! You and I have exactly the same kimono colors! Yay Jaquard silk dye! This is really lovely. I really like the way you did the hair. I tried to get the same effect with dreds, and you definitely did it better than I did. I am so picky about this character since I spent so much time making him myself, and this is the best Kusuriuri I've ever seen. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy it.