Warhammer 40K Death Korp Quartermaster

Archived Thread
Our site is currently being changed over to the new version. Everything you see is currently in read-only mode. Additionally, the layout and UI will not be complete until all sections have been re-enabled, so please ignore any layout issues (or bland-ness) at this time.
#1 Macphot on 3 years ago

My first attempt at anything will be this. I haven't seen a costume of a quartermaster before, so I thought I'd have a go. I'll blog it and post here as it progresses...

[URL="https://dkokgrenadier.wordpress.com/"]https://dkokgrenadier.wordpress.com/[/URL]

#2 Macphot on 3 years ago

Here's my almost complete laspistol

[ATTACH]43174[/ATTACH]

#3 samwillow39 on 3 years ago

wooww... thats cooll...
great!!!

#4 Macphot on 3 years ago

With the laspistol pretty much done apart from finishing off, I'm now working on the greatcoat. The one I bought from fleabay was too short in length(I'm 6'2"), in sleeves (I have orangutan arms) and the collar was not high enough.
So I am adding additional length to the coat, I have replaced the collar with a stiffer higher one and have rolled down the sleeves cuffs to increase the arm length. Next step will be making buttons with a krieg skull motif and adding a red regimental flash to the left collar.
Once that is all done I can move on to the next layer - carapace armour.

#5 Macphot on 3 years ago

So here is the greatcoat being worn where you can see the problems with size.

I have removed the collar and replaced it with a larger stiffened one. Also added regimental flash to the left side.


The buttons on the coat are cheap and plain, I want ones that have a skull motif. So after looking around I found one on my sons toy pirate ship. There were some better ones but they have been used on the laspistol. This one isn't ideal due to the 'snarling' expression, but it'll suffice. Next step is continue modelling the button before casting 12 new ones.

#6 Macphot on 3 years ago

This is the button model, the mould and the cast results. Also you can see the cut-down skull ornaments I found which will go on the greatcoat collar. All items now need to be painted in a brass effect scheme.

#7 Macphot on 3 years ago

Here you go then - finished and attached buttons, along with the skull and regimental flash collar insignia.

#8 Macphot on 3 years ago

Moving on to the carapace armour. I thought it might be relatively simple to do, but that's not the case!
Two pieces - chest and back plate with an integral bevor/collar. On the chest piece is a mock rib-cage and on the bevor, an Imperial Aquila. That didn't sound too difficult until I started to use Worbla for the first time. I discovered my thermoplastic skills are gash. I've used craft foam between Worbla sheets which was ok when initially cut-out.

But then I don't know if I'm using it properly, it hasn't seemed to have stuck to the foam layer and once I shaped it there were bubbles galore and quite a bit of distortion.

The chest piece is the worst, but that will be hidden by the rib-cage.

Anyway, all suggestions greatly received - more work to do I reckon

#9 Macphot on 3 years ago

So the latex rib-cage I have to use as the feature on the carapace armour, it has a nice 'old bones' paint job look about it. But I don't know if I should make it a little more 'clean' - just a better and simple white paint job? The airsoft skull mask I will get to use to cover the gas mask will probably not be the same paint job as the existing one on the rib-cage - they need to be the same.
The pics attached show the rib-cage and the painted figure I am using as inspiration. I'd be grateful for some opinions.

#10 Macphot on 3 years ago

The carapace armour has had an undercoat of satin black paint, maybe I should have used a matt. Aquila and skulls on the chestplate and shoulders has been given the same paint job as the skulls on the collar insignia of the greatcoat.
The paint scheme for them is that from the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass, Demon Prince brass armour trim guide.

The breastbones were attached to the chestplate with hot glue and then painted using a Games Workshop skull colour painting guide. There are a few bits to finish-off and then I'll weather the armour and start on the rebreather unit to sit on the back of the backplate. I think I'll vacuum form that to minimise the weight.

#11 samwillow39 on 3 years ago

wooww... thats all look great

#12 Macphot on 3 years ago

I've got hold of some more bits and pieces for my head. As well as the existing mask, I have now added:

A hose to connect the mask to the re-breather unit - one of those russian rubber ones which was a couple of quid on fleabay.
Plastic 90 degree bend to attach hose to re-breather - couple of quid from my local DIY store. It's a 40mm plastic waste fitting.
Airsoft half-skull face-mask (again, a couple of quid) - this'll sit over the gas mask with some mods. I'll also be able to remove parts of the gas mask that'll be hidden, this'll allow some breathing holes and hopefully stop the eye lens misting up.
A replica German M35 helmet - this didn't cost as I managed to persuade someone to get it as an xmas present.

#13 Macphot on 3 years ago

Pic to go with above

#14 Vegeta 32 on 3 years ago

Hey everyone im looking for any air softers over 18 in de,nj or pa to start a team anyone who is interested contact me

#15 samwillow39 on 3 years ago

thats amazing..
you did it!

Available
Follow Cosplay.com