What kind of dress is this?

Archived Thread
Our site is currently being changed over to the new version. Everything you see is currently in read-only mode. Additionally, the layout and UI will not be complete until all sections have been re-enabled, so please ignore any layout issues (or bland-ness) at this time.
#1 Grey's Princess on 8 years ago

Hi! I'm going to cosplay Sophie Hatter from Howl's Moving Castle for Acen 2011, and I have no idea what her type of dress is called so that I can look for a pattern. Ironically enough, when I searched "old lady dress" it was the fourth image result (labelled as a "school marm" dress, which yielded no results elsewhere) but I can't get more specific than that. Here's picture of it for those who don't know who I'm talking about:

Any help would be appreciated. Or if you know of somewhere I could get a good pattern for this, that would be great too. Thanks!

#2 ubercaledor on 8 years ago

looks like a prairie dress

#3 nannyogg on 8 years ago

Here's another version of prairie dress: [url]http://www.folkwear.com/201.html[/url]
You might also check simplicity & mccall's (they have pattern books online on their websites), under the costume section. Look at all the costumes, though, because some of the historical ones don't show up if you click just the "historical" option.

#4 DlGlT on 8 years ago

You will probably have to alter something like this

Lengthen the sleeves, cuff them, and add a collar.

This one has the right sleeves.

#5 Grey's Princess on 8 years ago

Thanks, everybody! I'll be going to the fabric store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good idea of a pattern to use.

#6 anime_sarah on 8 years ago

I was kinda of wondering what kind of dress that was as well, thanks.

#7 crystalamaris on 8 years ago

Most typically, it's a Gunnisac dress. There should be some good patterns for them out there.

Follow Cosplay.com