Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Anael
Main troublemaker ^^

Modeling clay advice needed!

Hello

I live in Europe in country where I can't buy any usefull modeling clay. I have a chance to ask someone to buy me some in USA. So please, tell me - which would be good for making small acessories such as Asuka from Eva hairclips or brooches or just any of small things.
Anael is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Tentacle_Guy
The Guy With Tentacles

Fimo and Sculpy are both good, as is Paperclay. It depends on how much work you want to do. Paperclay is very light and dries in air. Fimo and Sculpy both need to be cooked to dry, but are much stronger and can take being drilled.

You should be able to find Fimo in Europe.

Disclaimer: Management not responsible for any injuries, loss of life, fiduciary burden, loss of virginity, loss of sanity, lack of morals, or gross changes in appearance.
------------------------------------------
Tempted by thoughts of tickling tentacles ?
Visit the beautiful downtown Naughty Tentacle Cosplay Gallery

In progress: Ultros (0%)
Tentacle_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Anael
Main troublemaker ^^

Fiberglass

I heard about something called fiberglass - but have no idea what is it. Could it be useful for modeling?
Unread 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
karinka Chick

Ummm. yea but that is not really what you are looking for ,for the type of things that you are doing but it is nice for some things.I agree Fimo is a really nice caly and cam be reused over and over until you bake it so even if you dont use it all for one project you can use it for others.

Last edited by karinka Chick : 06-23-2005 at 01:56 PM.
karinka Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Tentacle_Guy
The Guy With Tentacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anael
I heard about something called fiberglass - but have no idea what is it. Could it be useful for modeling?
Fiberglass is a resin that dries very hard and is very difficult to work with. Some car bodies are made from fiberglass, and it is not a good material to use for small pieces.

Disclaimer: Management not responsible for any injuries, loss of life, fiduciary burden, loss of virginity, loss of sanity, lack of morals, or gross changes in appearance.

Unread 06-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Anael
Main troublemaker ^^

Modeling clays...

Hmm, so really fiberglass is to hard for such things. I thought about 'Model Magic' too... And please tell me, if I use Fimo - what would be good to paint it? what kind of paint? Acrylic maybe?
Unread 06-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
karinka Chick

Acrylic is ok you can also use tempra and get spay glaze I havent used Model Magic much so I don't really know what to say sorry but yea for this type of project I woul not use fiber glass.
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Tentacle_Guy
The Guy With Tentacles

Quote:
Hmm, so really fiberglass is to hard for such things. I thought about 'Model Magic' too... And please tell me, if I use Fimo - what would be good to paint it? what kind of paint? Acrylic maybe?

Model magic is similar to paperclay, but it comes pre-colored, and doesn't dry as hard as paperclay.

If you use Fimo, you can paint it with any kind of paint. I would suggest getting some fine sand paper and sanding the surface first, then using a spray primer before you apply any other paint. After you put the primer on, you can use any kind of paint you want. Once you have finished painting, and it dries, I would spray on some clear acrylic. You can get it with a glossy, smooth, and shiney finish, or a flat, not shiney finish.

Unread 06-24-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
Mich
Costume 'Wing-er'

Quote:
I use Fimo for practically EVERYTHING! I LOVE IT!( From my Arwen crown,To the design on my Selene corset, to small studs on my Nancy costume).
You need to prime it before you paint it, so that the acrylic paint sticks to it,( I just use a a matt spray primer), and then afterwards I use a spray varnish to seal it....so it's easy to use...
Steampunk
Narissa, Disney's Enchanted
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote