Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
ickaboo

Can fabric paint be thinned with water?

I bought some tulip fabric paint and I want to thin it so I can paint a design on nylons.
Has anyone done this before?
aCATsuki for my kitties: 95%
ickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Kama

I have. It worked but made the texture...kind of goopy if that makes sense? You'll be able to feel it on your fabric, it's not like painting with a dye. The water also makes it hard to get a straight, clean line. Be prepared for it to go a little over where you want it to, and don't use very much water at all if you want thin lines.

I'd buy some acrylic paints if you can. If not, you should be fine with water as long as long as you go slowly and don't use so much water that it bleeds and spreads when you apply it. Also remember that the more water you use, the lighter the color will turn. I'm sure you knew that already, but I didn't!
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
ickaboo

Thanks!

So I can use just normal acryllic paints? I don't want it to look painted on if possible. I've seen other morrigans that have painted them on and they look great.

I'm trying to achieve this effect:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...n-aensland.jpg
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Kama

For that, I'd honestly mix some fabric dye in the color you want. Thicken it up a little with normal acrylic paint (but just a little) and use a stencil to get it on. It will be like using watercolors, but won't look painted on because it's not. This is where I used acrylic paint. On the brighter orange (the flowers and the pattern on the sleeves, not the medallions). I think it photographed well, and didn't look painted on. I would pour some normal acrylic paint (except for the gold, which is fabric paint) onto a plate, dip my paintbrush into some water and use it to mix, then paint with that and rinse my brush ever three or so dips. Try it with some test fabric to find the consistency you like.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
ickaboo

Oh wow, that came out beautifully, impressive and it doesn't look painted on. Thank you for the tips.
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I don't know about Tulip brand but Jacquard brand fabric paints are acrylic-based, meaning they can be thinned with water. We did that on some tights and got an almost watercolor-like blending effect.

If you use regular acrylic paint, just add in what's called "textile medium." Literally, it's a medium meant to mix with acrylic paints to get them to stick to fabric.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Mugen_Champuru

I use spray-on fabric paint for my costumes and it works great for stenciling designs or applying a thinner coat over a larger area. It takes about three days to fully dry (it's try to the touch after about a half hour though). Anyway, if you're interested you can get is from http://www.fabricspraypaint.com, they ship really fast and give you instructions.

Best,
Mugen
Mugen_Champuru is offline   Reply With Quote